From my preliminary task I have learnt the importance of developing a suitable house style to appeal to my target audience. In the beginning stages of production, the house style was not evident because I was using different colours in the contents and page and thee front cover. This taught me that for my music magazine a consistent colour scheme that would be complemented with use of the same typography would create a high quality product that would be appealing to the viewer of the magazine. Furthermore, in the preliminary task I feel as though I could have improved the positioning of the typography in order to reduce the size of the empty space therefore in my music magazine I tried to utilise as much space that I could with images and text.
From my preliminary task I feel as though I have learnt much more about the importance of magazine conventions and alternative ways of constructing a magazine. If you were to look at my music magazine it is clear that I have experimented with a different layout that is not typically seen in the double page spreads of Pop magazines therefore the preliminary task has taught me that it is okay to challenge some conventions of magazines.
Also, the preliminary task has taught me about the importance of alignment and editing. The images captured in the preliminary task were raw and dull and I did not change the backgrounds of the images whereas for the music magazine I decided to use studio setup so that I could upload and edit the images that I had taken. Photoshop tools where used more in the music magazine than the preliminary task because my knowledge of Photoshop editing techniques and layering were very much limited hence why conventions e.g. the masthead of the college magazine was not as eye catching as the masthead of the music magazine.